Mexican Blanket Patched and Embroidered Converse High Top Sneakers



 I have had some "salesman samples" of Mexican blankets that I received in a bulk estate sale for a while.




 I kept looking for a way to use them, and I found a perfect way to upcycle them when I bought a $10 pair of white and pink High top Converse at  a Salvation Army for $4.99.

After washing and drying the sneakers completely, I put household cleaner bottles inside the sneakers. This is to help support the bonding process. Shoe Goo came in handy again.
Then, I cut the ends of the rugs and started the
piecing process. I wanted those diamond shapes to be on the outside of the sneakers.

The tongue got decorated with glued-on striped parts of the mini blankets.




Of course, I had to make sure that the Converse "Chuck Taylor" logo wasn't covered.



Here's the inner parts, with stripes all lining up to make sure that the logo is not covered.


Here's the heel end, after having the gray and off-white striped pieces being glued on.


Now, the embroidering part.... the same embroidery floss I used for repairing the gray and burgundy cashmere sweater.


I embroidered up and down up and down the tongue. I used a blanket stitch around the edges.


I sewed up all the patches all together. I wanted it all to have that patchy feeling.


Here's the inner side, with the embroidery stitches up down and all around.


Now, to lace it up! I used some round nose pliers to poke holes through the blanket.


Just poke a hole through the blanket, and then push the new laces through....


Here's the finished product..... Front view.


The inner side...


The outer side.....


Ta-dah! Saint Salvage strikes again!


Comments

  1. If you ever want to sell them... email me at bonny.twiggy@gmail.com. I don't care how bad of condition they are in.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can always make a pair for you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mend and Make Do: Repairing Small Moth Holes in a Cashmere Sweater

How to Dye a Leather Purse with Spray Paint Color

Trip to Philadelphia, PA to Theatre of Living Arts to see RATT